"Glemseck" [ and maybe "Tangerine Dream" ]

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports "Glemseck" [ and maybe "Tangerine Dream" ]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Sadly during migration of the old site (which was apparently as good as impossible but Matt  managed it) pictures didn’t come across. Any help with this will be gratefully appreciated as the only way we know ATM is manual.

Cheers Beachcomber.

beachcomber
    Participant

Got it sussed now KK, I’ll retrieve what pix I can from my own archives and gradually replace them in the posts so the posts makes more sense ……. if I EVER do make sense !!

beachcomber
    Participant

<div class=”postarea”>
    <div class=”post”>
    <div id=”msg_886794″ class=”inner”>Have you noticed that life is full of “good news / bad news” moments !!!  ::)

The bad news is that the guy [ Dave, recovering from cancer ] who took over my old workshop unit and had offered a space there to work on the bike while he made parts – has had a relapse.  :'(He can only work the odd day per week, which means I would have no daily access to the bike if it went up there-  and it’s 20 minutes away.

And literally the same day I got the news, my old pal Brian [ also in remission from Cancer  ;D] said that he had finally got his garage sorted out – and had a KZ750 sized space where I could work on it ! 10 minutes away!  ;D

This is also the guy that used to build my replicas for his own clients AND was the UK agent for Russell hosing and had his own mobile workshop that he took along to Drag Race meetings ! He still has all his hosing tools and jigs etc, and even has boxes of fittings and the odd length of hose ! He is a meticulous [ almost anal ] worker and very good at wood patterns, which will be a big help when it comes to mocking up the blower , etc.

So, the plan C [ or is it D ?  ;)] is to get the bike off the workbench in my shed – remove wheels and accessories and the move the whole project into his garage. In the interim, I’ll get my bike ramp cleaned up [ too dirty for his spotless garage ! ] and taken round there. THEN we can take the measurements for the wheel spacers etc and get the chassis truly rolling. First pal Dave will make the bits as promised – just have to wait until it’s one of his “good” days. If that’s not an option due to his health, I need to find another “friendly” machinist.

Getting the bike bits and work ramp round to his garage ALSO clears space to assemble my Engine hoist and stand – then work can also get started in earnest on my supercharged 2.3 Volvo lump for my 940 wagon project !! 8)

All in all feeling very positive, if a bit sad about my pal Dave’s relapse.</div>
    </div>
    Modify message</div>
    <div class=”moderatorbar”></div>

Norvil repro 1/2 fairing [ smoked screen ] – Nitrous bottle will sit horizontal in the fairing side above engine.

Manx “dummy” tank cover. XR750 H-D seat – will be swapped for AJS 7R

Eaton blower position – cardboard tube represents [ in best Blue Peter manner ] the intake plenum where the Nitrous Oxide fogger injectors will go.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by beachcomber. Reason: Add pix / info
    beachcomber
    Participant

Repeated here JIC

Ta

Anyone got / know where to get a fork brace ? The Glemseck IS starting to get really serious now .. talked to a pal today who has a 150 BHP Nitrous set up. Be rude not too ?

However in the interests of self preservation – fork brace and steering dampener now on the shopping list .

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Beachcomber

There was a fork brace on ebay the other week. I will see if I can locate it again.

KK

beachcomber
    Participant

Fork brace ordered – Tarozzi £99.99 NEW. Just the steering dampener now.

The bike is now completely stripped and bubble wrapped ready for it’s move to my pal’s garage – OK still has rear wheel loosely in place [ 2 handed job ], but essentially ready to go. Most of the parts are boxed up now.

beachcomber
    Participant

Shout out for Kenny ????? I lost all my contact info when my PC was “kidnapped” with that effing ransomeware earlier this year.

Kenny, been trying to find a contact for you.

I don’t want to abuse your good will, but I wanted to check that there is no issue for the continued loan of the engine parts I’m using for set up ?? You can no doubt see why I’ve been delayed in progressing thew project – but things are moving forward once more.

BTW – are you sure you don’t want to sell head / maybe barrels ?

The project should be in my pal’s garage in the next few weeks and then I have to set up the dummy engine again. That’s mainly to locate the blower and exhaust positions.

Again, my thanx for your generosity in loaning me these parts.

beachcomber
    Participant

Fork brace arrived today – just need to find the steering dampener [ somewhere in my garage ! ] and that’s all the chassis parts sorted.

beachcomber
    Participant

Moving news ……………. the bike ramp has been moved round to my pal’s garage and the frame / forks and wheels will be round there mid – week. I’ve already moved most of the parts – just the big parts to go next – fairing, seat, tank cover etc.

I’m keeping the blower parts in my shed as I’ll need them to mock up the mounts, manifolds etc.  First job is to refit the wheels so that the spacers can be measured up and made. Hopefully that will be done before Christmas. I’ve been offered the use of another pal’s machine shop, where I’m hoping to get some head work done before Christmas. He’s away on a 2 week holiday and has given me the run of his facilities !

I’ve found the ideal unit for the 2 x retards needed for the blower and the Nitrous. Also shown is the crank trigger, although I have an idea the stock CDI from the late model engine can do the job – need to find out. As the OEM coils run a “wasted” spark system – I can just use two coils to operate the twin plug head, although a headsup from those that know would be great .

philpassingham
    Participant

<p><br data-mce-bogus=”1″></p>

beachcomber
    Participant

Over the past week I’ve been looking into the blower drive take off that I was contemplating – ie from the alternator fixing bolt [ 12mm ]. It’s the only logical / practical place, but I was concerned about the torsional shear stress on the fixing. The blower will take around 15 – 20 bhp to drive, but it’s the inertia that needs to be overcome that’s a concern. Soooooooooo – back to the turbo then !!! What’s that about ” I used to be indecisive – now I’m not so sure” !!

The blower set up is much more familiar to me, but I do not want to take the risk of a marginal drive output. So I will revert to using he same take off to drive the Gixer oil pump for the oil cooler and turbo feed. The only good news [ ? ] is that I spent some months thinking about the turbo set up and planning the packaging. One of the major benefits is the much lower weight and compactness.

The decision was finally declared a no-brainer when our pal Der-Nanno informed me that he’s found a carbon seal turbo for his TR1 project. Thanx mate ! That means I can use the SU carb I have in a draw through set-up and I already bought most of the ancillaries I will need – boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, oil lines and fittings, etc., etc. That makes the whole packaging much simpler – including manifolding, even my 2 > 1 high level exhaust will easily hook up to the turbo flange !

So that’s the current plan [ D or is it E ?]

Today I got most of the parts round to my pal’s garage and he was busy fitting up extra fluorescent lights. We got the frame unwrapped [ like Christmas ! ] and set up on the bench and even got so far as to install  [ loosely ] the front and rear wheels so that we can take the measurements for the spacers. I’ve even found most of the scattered parts around my shed and am making a list of the other parts that I need – or need to find !

I hope to have the dummy engine installed this week as well so that we can start looking at the under frame fuel cell, turbo packaging [ AGAIN ] and etc.

beachcomber
    Participant

back to the main plot …… what a difference a day makes – or to be precise – half a day ! ;D

As well as the obvious progress in the pix, the blower manifolding / mountings have been worked out as well as the carb intake for the SU – which I guarantee will make you go weak at the knees ! ;). The exhaust has been swung over to the other side – and will also look the bollox.

Also rough mounting points for the seat and “tank”. The seat is sitting 2″ high in the pix as it’s currently over the tie down straps. The Tarrozi fork brace is total bollox …………. nowhere near – after I had to order it specially – and of course pay a premium.

There is loads of room for the fuel cell [ under frame ] which again has worked out a treat. Room for TWO NOS bottles hidden under the “tank”.

A lot of other “whatif” ideas have also been crystallized.

Thanx to my pal Brian – who is barely well enough to move into the garage, never mind carry out the precision fab work.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by beachcomber.
    philpassingham
    Participant

Where did the downpipes come from,did you bend them yourself or  are they a std shop buy,looking good bye the way

beachcomber
    Participant

I bought the bends [ Stainless ] as “random bends” from a company on e-bay. I’ll dig out the link. They were not expensive – 6 bends of various radius’.

Unbelievably this mockup was fitted “out of the box” with no cutting / mods so far.

The top pipe needs to be about 2″ shorter where it enters the ex. stub and about the same where it goes into the collector [ another e-bay find ! ]. The cross pipe will need to be “cut and shut” – but nothing too difficult. The bends I have left over will get me there. I think the whole lot including collector was under £40.

I’m in need of another late engine BTW if anyone has a spare !

richh
    Participant

Looking good, very interesting!

Would a spare frame help with mockups?

Philpass donated one to me, unfortunately when I managed to check vin for the reg it was taxed and moted! Obviously someone has used the reg on a chopper or something so the frame is no use to me and will be scrapped soon if no one wants it!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this