Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Beachcomber

I have the first Webber carb manifold welded up. Can you PM me your address so I can post it back to you for approval.

Cheers

KK

beachcomber
    Participant

Can’t wait to get my hands on the new manifold – KK, what a star !!

Glad I made the effort with the tank and filler cap. First casual look and it’s a stock KZ tank, but there’s lots of subtle reshaping. Just the final shaping and detailing now before final prep and paint.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

It will be on its way to you tomorrow. Had it done with stainless steel tube so as to minimise the chance of corrosion getting in the fuel

beachcomber
    Participant

Tank has now been reshaped and the depression around the filler neck “lost”.

Another hour spent on general shaping and a couple of heavy coats of primer filler and we’re close to final pattern making.

The area around the filler neck needs more work though.

I ordered a threaded adaptor for the Monza (£7.95 from China …. Including delivery.), I’ll probably glue it in place with Araldite / similar.

beachcomber
    Participant

1st. Weber manifold arrived – a work of art. I haven’t seen welding that neat for years.

Drilling all flange mounting holes to size and trial fit on the engine at the weekend.

HUGE thanx KK !!

beachcomber
    Participant

The filler neck arrived from India today. 50% cheaper than those available in the UK !

Managed to score an XS500 sprocket carrier today, and I have located a complete wheel in the US, which a DTT buddy has offered to buy and strip off the parts I need and post them over – what would we do without good mates worldwide?

beachcomber
    Participant

A couple of pix now I’m getting used to my loaner lap top!

my DTT pal [ thanx Tune a Fish ] sniped the XS500 complete wheel for $45 !!! Check out the condition, 40 odd years old looking more like 4.

He will take off the relevant sprocket side unit complete and sell off the rest to pay for [ hopefully ] the carriage. I was quoted $65 + carriage JUST for the cush drive rubbers from another seller !

I will need new spindles to mate the wheels to the KZ frame – just need to check my stock of stainless steel bar.

Also pix of the tank, surfacing almost complete now and the mods have been made to fit the Brass Monza cap.

beachcomber
    Participant

I need to investigate an alterative timing device ( hall sensor etc.) So I can move the points device from it’s current location. Any ideas ?

beachcomber
    Participant

I need to investigate an alterative timing device ( hall sensor etc.) So I can move the points device from it’s current location. Any ideas ?

Michael
    Participant

In Germany this ignition from Sachse is quite popular.
    http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsystem/product_info.php?info=p45_digital-ignition-zdg3–kawasaki-kz750b1-twin-.html

Otherwise Ignitech from Chech Republic offers some good ignition kits.
    http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky

Good luck !
    Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Many thanx for the headsup Michael – I’ll check them out.

I might have a need to move the ignition assembly to the other side.

Otherwise I might have to consider making up a flying magnet crank trigger wheel [ a la MSD ].

beachcomber
    Participant

I’ve found there are several options for ignitions that might be suitable including one which has it’s own billet crank trigger wheel.

One British unit has add on electronics to control rev related retards etc.

Just awaiting there info pack.

beachcomber
    Participant

The complete rear hub assembly is winging it’s way to me thanx to the kindness of Tune A Fish from the DTT [ dotheton ]forum. He dismantled the wheel – removing the spokes [ as new ]and parcelled up the rest for carriage.

The rolling chassis should be complete before Christmas.

I’m collecting my 25 ltr. blast pot from my pal next week together with a bag of blasting soda to attack my engine unit [ and blower ]. Hopefully my compressor will be man enough for the job – if not, a pal has a GBFO compressor at his workshop – which just means humping all the bits up there.

A little closer with the tank now. A couple more hours of detailing should see it ready fro final Primer surfacer ready for colour.

beachcomber
    Participant

The donor xs500 hub is now at customs……….

beachcomber
    Participant

And STILL at customs !!

I ended up cutting the tube from the filler neck. The diameter was too big enough for the tank aperture. I’ll attach it with metal epoxy. A bit more (!) filler and shaping today.

As soon as the hub arrives I’ll get the rear wheel completed and centred so I can see what spacers etc I need

That just leaves fitting the forks and doing the same exercise on the front wheel.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this