Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

I’ve been working on this project on and off [ mostly off! ] this year – loads of incidental problems kept me out of the garage most of the time, but back into it now.

Don’t seem to be able to master the posting of pix yet – will post up as and when.

Pretty well “standard” Flat Tracker fare – H-D XR750 seat, Renthal bars and stripped of anything not required – including the lights, I’ll be running a daylight MOT on this one.

I’m prototyping a Weber 40 DCOE conversion – nothing wrong with the standard carbs – just fancied something different. I’ve got all the flanges sorted out, just need to find a tame welder and a bit of tube to finish off !

I see Hoggy mentioned hereabouts – he made me some exhaust flanges [ top job ], and I’m just waiting to get some stainless steel pipes made up in the BSA Spitfire Scrambler style – ie 2 x high level pipes on one side.

I’ve pulled the tyres off the wire spoked wheels, and as soon as I’ve got the bearings out – they’re off for powder coating [ Gold ].

Still looking for some knobby ‘ish tyres and then I’ve pretty well got all the parts sorted.

I’m hoping to do the frame and s/arm in a fine wrinkle finish – similar to the H-D engine paint – but in Red !

Planning on using a FO Yellow for the panels – Renault Service Yellow – it’s bright !

Not certain about detailing the engine and accessories yet – although the same wrinkle Red may find it’s way on the engine with polished fins and some polished alloy to break it up.

beachcomber
    Participant

Bit more of the puzzle. Here’s the flanges I had lazer cut for the Weber 40DCOE conversion – had to have 3 lots done to get a good price ! Just waiting for the aforementioned “tame welder” to turn up [ and get some tubing ] to get the manifolds welded up.

Here’s the exhaust stubs that Hoggy made up for me [ thanx mate ]- just need some stainless pipes made up now to complete the look I’m after -the BSA Spitfire scarmbler.

The bike had been “chopperised” [ badly ], but I’ve now got new frame tubes to weld in place.

Is there a smaller “peanut” style tank from any other models that will fit ? I’m looking for something like the Bonnie export tank [ 3 gall ].

The wheels will have to wait until after Christmas now as the powder coater is closing down for the holidays next week.

Michael
    Participant

Ok, that’s progress 😉

Matching fuel tank is very hard to find !
    Best thing you can do is to catch a LTD or CSR fuel tank including top cover and (vacuum!) fuel petcock.
    At least it has a PRI position 😉

Front fork legs may touch the front side of the LTD/CSR tank. Small correction of the max steering angle (Lenkanschlag) may be required.

Attached a picture of one of my 750Twins, currently under construction again. It has a B1 frame and the LTD fuel tank on it. Front parts like fork, triple trees/yokes, wheel, brakes, all from Z750E (4 cyl.)

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Thanx for the headsup on the tanks Michael. Do you have any pix ? As you can tell – I am new to Z750 models.

BTW – I am only in Reichenau April / March and August – and sometimes October for our village beerfest !

beachcomber
    Participant

Michael,

just read your tank advice again …………. don’t need a prime or vacuum facility as the Weber will be fed via an SU electric pump.

Michael
    Participant

Hi,

in the end you will need to open or close the fuel line to the carbs, at least to remove the fuel tank.

Matching pet cock / fuel line adapter and inline pet cock must be used for the LTD tank.
    My description was in regards to the stock pet cock used at LTD tanks.

The one from a B-tank doesn’t match !

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Ah, I have it now Michael !!!

If push comes to shove I’ll adapt a fitting from one of my other projects.

The pump actually acts as a valve – as no fuel passes until it is switched on. But you are quite right – I still need some means of removing the tank from the bike !!

Michael
    Participant

You’ve got it ;-)))

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Another small piece today – I got an SU electric pump from a late model [ relatively ! ] Mini. Nice and compact and more than enough oomph for the Weber.

I’ve ordered some “dry sand” from a builder pal of mine, and I’ll be trying out my new Sand Blasting equipment after Christmas.

£80 for the Blaster ……….. about £350 – £400 ‘s worth of shotblasting required for my projects – no contest.

Apparantly, it will also handle Soda ……….

Tango
    Participant

Wow That’s Some handy machine!

I would love to get hold of some good toys!

beachcomber
    Participant

Just realised that I’m duplicating posts – sorry about that – suitably flogged with a worn Renolds chain …………..

beachcomber
    Participant

OK – got the right thread now – I think !

I’ve had over a dozen enquiries for the Weber / Dellorto conversion manifold now – so I’ll make some proper enquiries as to multiples of lazer cut flanges, tube, fabrication etc., and see what the costings are.

beachcomber
    Participant

Finally cleared enough space in the garage to mock up the frame, tank, seat.

I’ll make some patterns for the racing number side panels and the underseat electrics tray / mount in the next few days – then it’s off to the shotblasters with the frame, swingarm and side stand.

beachcomber
    Participant

wiring loom in the not too distant.

I’ll be modding it anyway as I’m going for a daylight MOT – just a stop light.

FINALLY got the rear brake torque arm off !! Appears [ front end ] that as you undo the bolt it tightens up against the torque arm – and seizes ! Spent a frustrating hour or so of my life on that…….

For those that have showed an interest in the Weber conversion – I have a guy who will be giving me a quote to build up the manifolds. He’s away on business at the moment, but will give me a price when he gets back.

beachcomber
    Participant

That is to say _ NEED a wiring loom !! Any offers ?

BTW – this is the overall image I’m going for

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this