Engine rebuild

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    chrislwg
    Participant

i bought this engine on ebay for £40 a few years ago. I intend to get the cases shot blasted and rebuild the engine over the winter,and hopefully have it running on a bench. when i bought it there was water in the engine and in pretty poor condition, but everything was there.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Chris,

good buy 😉

Can’t see any shafts in the engine.
    No crankshaft, no gear shafts, etc.

Are those separate items in a box ?

Any plans to “big bore” this engine?
    I would be interested in that as well 🙂
    Hopefully I can rebuild an engine this winter too !!!

Cheers, Michael

philpassingham
    Participant

how spooky,im rebuilding one wintertime as well,wheres me hammer

chrislwg
    Participant

Michael, i have stripped the internals out and I am going to fit steel covers to keep the beads out of the engine whilst being blasted

Michael
    Participant

Hi Chris,

ok, understand 😉

Any plans to “big bore” that engine ?

This is the guy I would work with for this rebuild and the “big bore” kit:
    http://www.gaenssle.de/

He may be helpful to get the exhaust camshaft modified to be used as an intake camshaft as well 😉

More mixture in, more power out ;-)))

Cheers, Michael

chrislwg
    Participant

hi michael,
    i don’t plan o big bore it. i’ll just be satisfied to get it running initially. its a shame not to restore it when everything is there and just needs some tidying up. the engine builders site you mentioned is very good, he certainly covers everything.

Tango
    Participant

Chris AND Others please do your rebuilds with plenty of Do’s and Don’ts, Hints and Tips.

And LOTS & LOTS of Photos Please! 🙂

Michael
    Participant

Cleaned up the garage (parking and storage area) and workshop (where I can work) yesterday and carried the engine to the workshop.
    Preparing a simple holder from wood and long screws to give it a save stand.
    Pics to follow 😉

I have bought a used engine from ESSO yesterday. Already dismantled and not complete. More spare parts with it, some brand new, some parts already restored and zinc plated or powder coated.
    Will be a challenge for him to pack and ship all the stuff as he is approx 800 km away from me.

Cheers, Michael

chrislwg
    Participant

got side tracked with my other engine

chrislwg
    Participant

got side tracked with my other engine

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Normally I would say being side tracked is no excuse but OMG!!! I just love steam trains. Arguably one of the best ever engineering feats especially when you think how crude engineering was in those days.

Obviously it is a model train but what scale is it? Is it yours or a combined venture?

chrislwg
    Participant

It’s a 5″ gauge. It took me three years to build , between 1987-1990. Been under the stairs for donkeys years. Looking T having boiler tested and steaming it.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Cheers Chris. It looks awesome. I think if you fire her up that should be a video moment to share.

chrislwg
    Participant

Ready for bead blasting

Michael
    Participant

Hi Chris,

that looks promising 😉
    Have you used “liquid” gasket between case and covers ?

Cheers, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this