Air filter and carb questions

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It Air filter and carb questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leonard Rice
    Participant

So, from what I have read these bikes don’t like air pods. Are they picky about after market filters in the air box if so which filters do you recommend?

I tore down my carbs to clean out years of setting around and see what presents the PO might have left me. It seems like he was in the process of rebuilding them.  One had new gaskets and hadn’t had fuel in it the other had new gaskets and varnished fuel like he had set the level in one but not the other.  To make a short story long, after easy outing some buggered up pilot jets and freshing out the threads,both damaged by lousy fitting screwdrivers, I noticed the pilots jets in all four carbs and in the parts bags I have are 45s.  The manual says they should be 40s.  Is this going to cause problems?  If so, any suggestions on where to get quality replacement jets?   The mains are the right size but the metering rods were on the groove closest to the taper.  Seems like the PO was trying to make it run richer.  Is this indicative that he was possibly trying to run pods?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Leonard Rice.
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

A very good question Leonard. It does seem like he was trying to make it run richer for whatever reason. Some folk have no problems and like pods while others seem to have little joy and hate them.

A few members have converted to GPZ 500 carbs which don’t naturally fit with the airbox so necessitate pods. I know one member (Tango) fitted GPZ carbs and his twin ran a dream. His wife (Magpie) then bought a twin and he really struggled to replicate the mod. He ended up fitting his carbs to her bike which then ran a dream and hers to his which then ran very poor. After much phaffing about he has managed to set the carbs to suit his twin.

My advice to anyone wanting to fit pods is to get the bike running well in standard condition before you change anything. Once this has been achieved change things one at a time. That way you will know exactly what is causing any running issues and can adjust as required.

They will run fine with pods if set up right but there is no simple settings to make it work.

Leonard Rice
    Participant
    • So I have an airbox and want to keep it as original as I can.   I was more wondering if I need to hunt down and pay for nos air filters or if it should be ok with an aftermarket air filter (oiled foam and k&n seem plentiful) in the air box.
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I have running a B1 and a CSR. Both have stock setup and foam K&N filters and both run fine without any adjustments.

Leonard Rice
    Participant

Thank you.

Alfredo Latimer
    Participant

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has the measurement for adjusting the float bowls on my 1976 KZ750. My manual does not specify.

I am building a Café Racer and have pods instead of airbox. Still running stock jet sizes. 40, 125 and slide needle on second groove from bottom.

Appreciate any ideas. I am not a mechanic.

Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this